What is Leadership for Public Purpose?
Effective leadership for public purpose transcends functional or instrumental leadership (i.e., personal career or political gain; or narrow business or organization outcomes), in pursuit of collective public goods like justice, equity, diversity, and liberty.
Leadership for public purpose can be manifest in all realms of social life such as private business, public and nonprofit institutions, neighborhood and community life, professional associations, civil and government institutions, and religious institutions.
Institutions that are committed to leadership for public purpose enhance the learning, teaching, and research mission of their institution by: developing leadership abilities in all institutional stakeholders; contributing to the public scholarly understanding of leadership as a public good, and understanding of the sociopolitical contexts, systems, and practices within which all leadership resides; and preparing students for lives of public leadership for public purpose in their careers, communities, and the broader society.
How to Apply – 2024 Cycle
- Applications available on GivePulse: March 1, 2022
- Purchase/Initiate an application by: July 1, 2023
- Application Deadline: December 1, 2023
- Campuses Notified: May 2024
- Public Announcement: June 2024
Applications are available on GivePulse.com. After the payment is complete, an email receipt will be generated and will include a unique link to the classification framework application portal. There, you will be able to complete the application and save your progress as a draft.
Applications must be initiated by July 1, 2023. Campuses can cancel an initiated application and request a refund until October 15, 2023.
I’ve registered for the application. How do I access my institution’s application on GivePulse?
- Log in to http://www.givepulse.com
- From the account navigation on the top right corner, select “My Activity” and then “Surveys”
- Select the survey “First Time Classification” or “Re-Classification: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching” depending on your institution’s application status
- Within the application, there is a tab “Collaborators”. Within this section, you can add the names and email address of the individuals who will prepare the application.